Students enrolled in specific Outlier courses have free access to unlimited sessions with a tutor, through Skooli. Learn more about how to access this service, as well as other resources we have to help you, below!
Note: Students who enrolled in Outlier courses October 12, 2022 or earlier use a different provider for tutoring, Brainfuse. Please see below for instructions on how to access that service.
Courses Eligible for Tutoring on Skooli
Outlier is pleased to offer tutoring through our partner Skooli for the following courses:
- Calculus I
- College Algebra
In addition, our writing-intensive courses offer asynchronous reviews of writing submissions:
- College Writing I
- Intro to Philosophy*
*this course is only available for writing assistance on Skooli
Accessing Live Tutoring through Skooli
You will be connected to the Skooli platform directly through your Outlier course in the Course Toolkit by clicking on the “Tutoring” button. Clicking that link will take you to your personal Skooli tutoring homepage - no sign-on credentials required!
Once there, you will see a screen like this:
If you are interested in seeing how the platform works, please check out the guided tour. If you are ready to speak to a tutor, go ahead and click “get started” or “connect with a tutor” buttons. You will be brought to the following screen, where you can choose which course you’d like tutoring for, and can briefly mention which topic you’d like help with.
Once the session begins, you’ll be able to use the whiteboard, as well as audio and video, to communicate with your tutor and work through your questions together. When your session is complete, a record of it will be saved in “My Stuff,” accessible through the menu in the top right of the screen.
You can prepare for a live tutoring session by entering a whiteboard and entering any information you want there, such as screenshots, which you can then save. You’ll be able to easily bring this saved whiteboard back up when you connect with a tutor later.
Accessing Writing Review through Skooli
Students in College Writing I and Introduction to Philosophy can submit drafts to receive asynchronous feedback from a tutor, also accessed by clicking “Get Started” or “Connect with a tutor,” with the “Written assignment review” on the right side of the screen. Note that the tutors will not be familiar with all of the specifics for your particular assignment, so it can be a good idea to include some details about the assignment, such as the assignment description or scoring rubric, in the document you upload.
Course not on the list for tutoring? Not to worry!
If you are in a course not covered by Skooli tutoring, or would like additional support, we are here for you! Check out the options below for getting help in your coursework:
- Reach out to your peers and Outlier academic support specialists in the discussion community for your course. Remember to add the “@Outlier” tag if you’d like a tutor to jump into the conversation.
- Submit an inquiry via the "?" button on your course page when you encounter a problem or card you don’t understand - use the "Tutoring" option to send a question directly to an academic support specialist at Outlier.
Reach out to the Success team to learn more about how to navigate your courses, manage your time, and solve any technical issues you may be facing. If you’re not sure where a question goes - start with Success!
Courses Eligible for Brainfuse
Students enrolled in specific Outlier courses (start date prior to 10/26/2022) have access to 300 minutes of free tutoring per month via Brainfuse! Learn more about setting up your Brainfuse account, buying more minutes, and some alternatives.
Outlier is pleased to offer tutoring through our partner Brainfuse for the following courses:
- Calculus I
- College Algebra
- College Writing I
Setting Up Your Brainfuse Account
1. Click the Green Question mark in the bottom right-hand corner of the Outlier site.
2. Select “Tutoring”
3. Then, “Brainfuse”
For quick access in the future, make sure to bookmark this page.
4. Click “Login” in the upper right-hand corner and enter your login credentials.
- Your user name is the email address you use for Outlier.org
- Your password is "outlier"
Please note that access to Brainfuse may be delayed for 3-5 business days after the start of your course while student data is imported to the Brainfuse systems.
Buying More Minutes
If you would like to purchase more Brainfuse tutoring minutes after using up your allotted amount, you may do so by taking the following steps:
1. Log into your Brainfuse account.
2. You will see that you are out of time. Select the red icon and click the “Buy” hyperlink to purchase additional minutes.
3. You will be directed to choose from three different tutoring packages: select one.
4. Checkout with PayPal or credit/debit card
Course not included in Brainfuse? Not to worry!
If you have used up your minutes and decide not to purchase more, or if you are in a course not covered by Brainfuse tutoring, we are here to support you. Check out the options below for getting help in your coursework:
- Reach out to your peers and Outlier tutors in the discussion community for your course. Remember to add the “@Outlier” tag if you’d like a tutor to jump into the conversation.
- Submit an inquiry via the "?" button on your course page when you encounter a problem or card you don’t understand - use the "Tutoring" option to send a question directly to a tutor.
- Reach out to the Success team to learn more about how to navigate your courses, manage your time, and solve any technical issues you may be facing. If you’re not sure where a question goes - start with Success!