Options to Exit a Course

Did you enroll in a course and need to exit, drop, or switch? We got you covered. While our goal is to provide an immersive, enjoyable learning experience, there are various options available if you need to make a change once the course is underway.

Outlier’s course exit and refund policies are established in partnership with the University of Pittsburgh. They are the following:

We strongly recommend reaching out to our Student Success team if you feel uncertain about your progress at Outlier. No student is the same! We are happy to work with you towards a conclusion that best meets your unique needs.


Change Enrollment to a New Course/Cohort

What is it?
This involves switching to another course or a later start date.

Transferring might be right for you if:

  • Your course has begun, but circumstances have changed, and you’re no longer able to commit to the schedule, expectations and/or timeline.
  • You’ve fallen behind during the first 2 weeks of the course and would benefit from a fresh start.
  • Other commitments or demands have come up, and you wish to take the course in the future when you have more time and capacity.

Learn more about transferring out of your course/cohort HERE

Become an Audit Student

What is it?
This involves taking Outlier courses without earning college credit.

Switching to audit might be right for you if:

  • You are interested in the contents of your course, but have realized you cannot keep up with the recommended pacing.
  • You do not need to earn credit and are comfortable skipping the exam portions of your course (e.g., midterms, final).

Learn more about auditing an Outlier course HERE

*Does not apply to Florida Polytechnic University or other partner institutions. Please refer to your course syllabus for details.

Drop the Course

What is it?
This involves exiting a course and not having it on your academic record

Dropping a course might be right for you if:

  • You no longer have the necessary time to devote to the course and are unsure when you might be able to return;
  • You realize you are not academically prepared for the course and may need to brush up on your materials before returning;
  • This style of self-guided, online learning is not for you;
  • You have taken on new expenses and are not currently able to invest in your education.

Learn more about dropping your course HERE


What is it?

This involves exiting a course withdrawal reflected on your academic record. Instead of a letter grade, it will appear as a “W.”

Withdrawing might be right for you if:

  • Your quiz and midterm grades are not where you would like them to be, and you do not feel there is enough time to raise them;
  • You are using Outlier credits to apply to a competitive program and are concerned about the impact of a low grade;
  • The drop deadline has passed, but your responsibilities have changed, and you no longer have time for the course.

The bottom line? A few W’s here and there on your transcript are no concern. A grade of “W” looks better than a grade of “F.” This is especially true if you take the course again and do well.

Learn more about withdrawing from your course HERE


Administrative Drop

What is it?
Students who do not meaningfully participate by the time 20% of the term has passed will be administratively dropped from the course.

Learn more about Administrative Drops HERE


Retake a Course

What is it?
You can retake a course to improve your grade. When you repeat a class, you must officially enroll and pay for the class again.

Retaking a course might be right for you if:

  • You repeated a course no more than twice, for a total of three attempts at the same course.
  • You finished a course and got a grade you are not happy with, and you think you can do better next time.
  • You need a specific grade to transfer credits.

The grade earned in each course attempt will be displayed on your transcript from the University of Pittsburgh.


Was this article helpful?

Have more questions? Submit a request



Please sign in to leave a comment.