At Outlier, a token is a credit that can be used in exchange for any course in our Course Catalog. Put simply, one token = one course.
You can obtain an Outlier token in one of two ways:
- You may be issued a token when exiting a course (prior to the course’s drop deadline)
- You can purchase a token individually from the Tokens Tab
To view your available tokens, purchase additional tokens, and see a rundown of your activity, head on over to the Tokens tab in your Account.
To navigate to the Tokens tab:
- Log in to your Outlier account
- Click the menu bar
- Select Account
- Click Tokens
Purchasing a Token
You can add tokens to your account anywhere you see the “Add Tokens” link. This can be found
In the Tokens Tab
(Account > Tokens > Add Tokens)
From the Course Catalog
(Menu bar > Catalog > Add Tokens)
From Courses within the Course Catalog
(Menu bar > Catalog > [Desired Course] > Add Tokens)
After clicking Add Tokens:
- Click the +/- sign to indicate how many tokens you wish to purchase
- Click Next
- Follow the instructions on the checkout page to complete your purchase
Tokens are not transferable, and may only be applied toward enrollments for the student account who made the original purchase.
When you exit a course prior to the drop deadline, you’ll be issued a token back to your Outlier account. Instead of applying that token toward a future course enrollment, you can also request a cash refund for all eligible tokens in your account.
While many tokens are eligible for a cash refund (like those issued for exits prior to the drop deadline, or for students who meet the Outlier Promise refund criteria), others are non-refundable. For tokens to be eligible for a refund they must meet the following criteria:
- The token refund window must not have elapsed
- The token must not have been used for courses that you stayed in past the Drop Deadline
- The token must not have been used for a cohort from which you were Administratively Dropped.
- The token must not have been applied toward a partially completed certificate
- The token must not have been granted as part of a scholarship or partnership
Requesting a Refund
To request a refund, follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to the Tokens Tab within your Account
- At the bottom of the page, click the link labeled “Request a refund”. The next page will display all tokens which are eligible for a cash refund.
- Click the checkbox beside each token you wish to return. Click Next
- Click Confirm
Your refund will be processed within 7-10 business days.